Seven photo awards in London
International print competition for portrait and wedding photographer
Europe's largest organization for portrait and wedding photographers, SWPP, arranges a print competition in London once a year. The world's best professional photographers submits their prints in 20x16 inch format (50x40 cm), for assessment by a neutral jury.
The prints are judged publicly without the jury knowing who took the photographs. Each print receives a score from 0 to 100 points. Those deemed "Above average professional quality" (80 and higher) are displayed for 15,000 visitors at the international convention in London.
The jury gave seven awards to John Hellstrom for his prints in three different classes:
- Classical Wedding / Classical Portrait: Images must represent an exemplary standard within a traditional and long-established form or style.
- Wedding Avant Garde / Portrait Avant Garde: Images must favour or introduce new and experimental ideas and methods.
- Wedding Reportage: Images must document real moments without any photographer input.
All the award-winning photographs were taken during the wedding of the real wedding and with ordinary couple, which is very different to photographing trained models with several support persons without time pressure.
The judges are looking for the following items when they are scoring boards:
- Creativity and style
- Image or print presentation
- Centre of interest
- Colour balance
- Technical excellence
- Photographic technique
- Story telling and subject matter
Two of the prints were assessed as "Outstanding" (90-94p).
Read more about the SWPP photo competition here.
John Hellström is a portrait and wedding photographer from Stockholm, Sweden. Contact John here!